Monday, October 7, 2013

Gettin' Out

I love being outdoors. whether it be with a flyrod, a rifle, or just out for a hike. Long ago I decided that I'm a fisherman that also hunts and not the other way around. An important distinction. This allows me to be interested in hunting while not letting it get in the way of fall fishing, which, in many ways is the best fishing of the year.
That being said I decided to get a spike elk tag this year, despite the misgivings of fishing time lost. At first I entertained the idea of taking a rod and somehow working in both pursuits, but decided against it to better give a full effort to one. I may be a fisherman that hunts, but that doesn't mean that I don't want to hunt well. Life makes us split time between so many things it's refreshing to give time over wholly to one pursuit.
Saw some great country and several elk, including some good bulls, but no spikes.  In fact, I can't think of another time when I've seen so many elk without seeing a spike.  That seems to be the way it is sometimes.  If I would've had a bull tag, I'd have seen all cows.  If I had a antlerless permit....well you get it.  Oh well, nice to get out.  Hopefully you can get out and enjoy life.

And yeah, I had a flyrod with me....I just couldn't help it.

No comments:

Post a Comment