Wednesday, January 8, 2014

Looking Forward

Seeing as how we're 8 days into this year and I'm tired of watching New Zealand fishing videos, I thought I'd tell you about some of the plans (hopes?) I have for the upcoming year. 

Soon (very soon) I'd like to head out and hit some tailwaters for some mid-winter nymphing and, with any luck, some midge action. Last year I had some great days in January and am anxious to get back at it. (Read the post here) I'd also like to take the winter show on the road and hit a big tailwater, if the funds allow.....

As soon as the weather warms up a bit I'd like to get after some carp like I did last year in April (Read the post here) and hopefully put the new 8 wt. to use chasing some Pike. I've never caught a Pike on the fly before but I'm hoping to check that off the bucket list early this year. I'm also thinking about going after some Largemouth Bass on the fly (that bucket list won't know what hit it).

May will bring warmer temps, run-off, irrigation flows, and hopefully a trip to the south in search of Brook Trout. Last year I found a nice lake that promised nice brookies, but all I hooked up with were Cutts (here) and I can't wait to get back to it. May into June should be pretty epic. 

As far as 'Resolutions' go I'm not too good, but I've got some things that I'd like to focus on in the blog this year. One this is, I'm going to try and get more creative with the camera. I like taking the fish pics, but feel like I need to mix it up. I'll keep working on underwater views, and different angles. I'm also hoping to add some short video clips and tutorial type stuff. 



I'm also looking forward to trying some different techniques. Mainly streamer fishing. I've done it at odd times here and there, but last year I was able to get into some night time streamer fishing and think I may have a new obsession. (here)

From there it should be a summer free from classes at the University. Looking forward to camping more and taking my sons out into nature. But for now I'll spin rods, tie flies and watch youtube angrily. Hope to get out soon, and hope that you can get out and enjoy the water.


- Kidder


No comments:

Post a Comment