Sunday, January 31, 2016


Part of being a Dedicated Hunter in Utah is doing volunteer hours. Honestly, I think this is what keeps more people from joining the program but in my opinion it's just not a big deal. Especially when your brothers arrange to do a project for hours that incorporates what we do, woodworking. Most people know me as more of a music guy, but my whole family has worked in woods of some form so building some stuff for the DNR to get our hours was the perfect opportunity. 

There's a hundred cut and drilled, probably four hundred more to go....
To say these things are tedious to make is a bit of an understatement, but I'd still rather be working in the shop than stuffing envelopes. Lots more to do, but it's a good start. 

The wife and kids took the trip up North with me and wanted to spend the night at my sister's house. So I talked my Dad into hitting one of the rivers up there that I don't get to fish often.

You know it's cold when I don't want to touch 'em
It was pretty freakin' cold, but the fish didn't seem to mind. Picked up the first fish I've ever caught on one of my new rods (see rod pics HERE). I'd love to tell you it was the brownie in the pic above, but it was a small whitefish. But that's the name of the game when you fish certain rivers with nymphs, and we were happy to find some willing fish. Dad was having some issues with tangles (cold hands weren't helping) but the fish seemed to be hungry for a Hare's Ear as long as it was near the bottom. 

This one was pretty thick with that hump-back
As always, Dad was being a little hard-headed when it came to changing flies, adding weight, or getting in many casts. I think he might just enjoy being out there, seeing some fish, and being my camera man. Maybe not, maybe he's just not that into nymphing for whitefish....

I'll take fish like this any day!
The top of the run produced the most fish and we were actually seeing more browns than the whities we were expecting. Finished out the run with the fish of the day, a nice brown that fought like a champ. 

Probably the best fish I've caught on this stream
We figured that if we hurried back to the truck we might still have time to hit another spot before I would try and beat the weather home. That was, before we came up behind a Union Pacific truck and watched it get stuck in the snow. After watching him try and rock his way out we decided to get out and lend a hand. After digging him out, pushing his truck, and watching him get re-stuck after traveling about 10 feet a few times he finally got past the worst spot and it was our turn. My Dad knew I was in a hurry, so he managed to only get stuck once and not nearly as badly as the Union Pacific guy. 

Fun in the snow
Still, all the digging and pushing cost us what little fishing time we had left and so we headed back to Dad's house. A good day of fishing on a day that most people wouldn't have even headed out with some really good company is a win in my book. Hope you can get out, be safe, and enjoy nature.

- Kidder

It was a long drive home...

No comments:

Post a Comment