Sunday, February 16, 2014

Awry

Sometimes plans go awry. With my family it seems like plans always go awry. That's how a two day trip with my Dad and two brothers turned into a day trip with just my Dad. With options being weighed and decisions being put off, I ended up leaving for the two hour drive to my Dad's house at 9:30 pm on Friday. Once I got up there we needed to pack some things and make final arrangements. We finally got to bed at about 12:30 am, but were still up at 3:00 am and out the door by 3:30.

After a long drive we were ready to hit it hard right at first light, but were met with uncooperative fish. The few takes we had all managed to end in favor of the fish till my Dad found the "honey-hole" and started picking up some fat bows.

These fatties fight pretty hard for their size

He invited me to try out his spot and on the first cast with my streamer I had a very aggressive fish on the end of my line. The first glimpse we had of it my Dad starts in on how I caught a catfish! With how dark this fish was I could almost believe it....

22" and really thick
We continued fishing right up until dark with nothing but more small bows to show for it when I hooked up again. Nothing spectacular by way of size, but the first time I've ever caught a Largemouth Bass! 

Always feels good to catch a 'first'
Little sleep and a long drive don't really mix at the end of the day, so we ended up staying at a Hotel 6 in the middle of nowhere. Didn't even eat dinner because we crashed once in the room. Amazing how tiring this fishing thing can make us.

Felt great to get out and throw some flies especially when I can get out with my Dad. I'm looking forward to getting some more trips in with him this year. Hope you can get out and enjoy the water.

- Kidder

No comments:

Post a Comment