Sunday, January 8, 2017

Book Review: Another Lousy Day in Paradise

Another Lousy Day in Paradise
by John Gierach


Since I, like so many that enjoy books about fishing, am a Gierach nut this book has been on my reading list for quite a while now. It's not that I didn't want to read every one of his books as quickly as I possibly could, it's just that I felt diversifying my reading list would keep things a little more interesting.

This book is a collection of essays about many subjects in and around fly fishing. From helping a fisheries biologist locate some rock bass for his collection to the art of a game dinner with friends, nothing is outside the realm of Mr. Gierach's musings. I particularly appreciated his view on carp fishing as a anti-establishment activity and the chapter on the challenges and joys found in winter fishing (especially since by reading this book I've avoided doing some of the cold weather escapades). But my favorite chapter is "What Else is There?" where the author explores his own reasons for fishing. In this chapter he confronts the questions of "why?" that we've all had thrown at us at different times and comes to the conclusion that it doesn't matter. 

Definitely worth your time "Another Lousy Day in Paradise" would be a welcomed addition to any fisherman's library.

"If people don't occasionally walk away from you shaking their heads, you're probably doing something wrong." - pg 139

Buy "Another Lousy Day in Paradise" at Amazon.com

No comments:

Post a Comment