Sunday, April 2, 2017

One More

This has been one of the most boring Spring breaks I can remember. 1st world problems, I know, but we ended up having to spend more money than we were expecting for our upcoming move, I hurt my neck/back, and the weather sucked. This all adds up to not enough fishing. I even had some plans involving the shed hunting opener here in Utah and trying to put together some videos. About midweek I was really starting to pull my hair out so the boys and I hit a stream for a quick trip (Read about that trip Here). It was such a raging success, and such a short trip, that I couldn't wait to get back.

I saw my chance at the end of the week for a solo morning trip. Despite the cold, rainy weather, I was still excited to be out and expected some great fishing. It started out the exact opposite of what I was hoping for. Only a couple of half-hearted nips at my woolly bugger made up the action for the first couple of hours. I mixed it up, trying a bunch of different rigs that have produced for me in the past to no avail. I was heading back to the car, tail between my legs, when I decided to put on a Prince Nymph with a San Juan Worm dropper (again) to try the bottoms of a few pools. On a dime my luck turned around and I had my first fish in hand.



From there on it was a new day! Fish were more than willing to take what I was serving up, several of them took it quite aggressively too.



Fishing picked up even more when I put a flashback Hare's Ear on. I was just starting to wonder if I'd see any of the bigger fish today when a decent one made an appearance. 



I moved up to a pool that has always been a weird one for me. Either it's great and I pull several fish from it or it's a complete blank. Today it was great and it saved the best fish for last. This guy jumped three times, straight up and straight back down, before coming to hand. 



Just like the other day when I was here with the boys, this fish had a hole in it's back. Must be some sort of predator around.



Fishing continued to be good, so good in fact that I overstayed when I told the wife I'd be home. A text informing me that I was a liar reminded me of things I'd said and I headed for home. After one more fish...


Hope you're as lucky,

Kidder



"Slutty Flies"

No comments:

Post a Comment