Friday, July 27, 2012

Hiking with the boy

A backpack loaded for the first time is the model of efficiency.  Everything you need, nothing you don't, all in it's place (you hope).  After agonizing over the contents I still end up packing at least twice, usually three times.  Then you hate to get into it for anything because you'll inevitably disrupt the efficient nature of the pack.  With high hopes I had planned on a short trip with Sean down to Southern Utah.  However, the enormous storm that hit the state on our planned days changed our plans.  With this bitter taste in my mouth I snapped a quick photo of my still unused pack.  The plan for a redemption trip quickly formed and I ended up hitting the trail with my son instead.  Just an hour from home we were already being welcomed with awesome sights of the red cliffs.

With minimal confusion we quickly found the right route to where we hoped would hold some great opportunities for us.  The hiking, fishing and camping would of course be great with my great company, and I was hopeful that the catching would be similarly great.  Soon we were at the parking area preparing for our adventure into this (for us) unknown area.

Ready to go
Hiking in to an unknown area with an eight-year-old is always a concern.  Some kids wouldn't be up to the challenge, but my little buddy had proved himself tough in past expeditions and I was confident in him.

Even if it did take a few extra water breaks.

Sometimes kids just get excited about little things, like the stream taking over the trail.

The excitement soon faded once we saw the big climb that was the next leg of the hike.


It was a welcomed site when we were finally within sight of the lake.

Unfortunately, the rain was just behind us.  Good thing I packed the rain slicker.

We quickly got our tent set up, just in time to find out it leaks.

Our gormet meal for the evening consisted of reconstituted stroganoff and a couple of Cup-O-Noodles.  Amazing how sub-par food can taste great when you're hungry.

We ended up going to bed early, but because of Atley's bearanoia attack we ended up talking for a while before getting some shut-eye.  About midnight I was suddenly awakened by Atley saying, "But that will effect our airflow!"  Startled, I questioned, "What?"  and Atley replied, "The airflow, wait...must've been a dream" and quickly went back to sleep.  I couldn't stop laughing!

In the morning we threw everything that we had brought at the fish.  But it didn't seem to matter whether we fished flies, jigs, or lures we just couldn't get any action.

So we decided to try another beautiful lake only a little further up the trail.

The fish here were no more interested than at the last lake, but it was worth the hike just to see it.  We quickly decended back to the parking area, although I think it took us just as long to hike down as it had to hike up the day before.

The car was a welcomed site at the end of a challanging couple of days.  So proud of my little buddy for making a 6+ mile hike in two days.  Not sure I could've done the same at his age.  The catching wasn't all we had hoped for, but we still had tons of fun and have lots of reasons to return to this awesome area.

No comments:

Post a Comment