Sunday, June 7, 2015


Since the school year ended I've been spending a lot of time here at home with the boys. The wife's job has her working M-F during the day, which means for the first time ever I'm in charge around the house on a daily basis. I don't know how she managed to be a stay-at-home parent for so many years. Personally, I'd much rather go to work. Or, better yet, I'd like to be able to sneak off a couple of times a week to do some fishing. I have, and will continue to, take my boys on fishing excursions but sometimes you've just got to get out there alone. So in that spirit, I managed to get away for an afternoon of hiking and fishing by myself.

Heads up
The hike itself was only a short one, and I tried to make good time while also making enough noise to avoid any unwanted, sudden, encounters. The doe in the pic above didn't seem to concerned about the crazy human talking to himself. Ever since running into that sow with two cubs last August, I try to be a little more bear conscious while out in the woods. I carry bear spray, make some noise, and try to be aware of what food items I've got in my pack. It's not that I have bear-a-noia or anything like that, just want to be prepared.

He's dressed for a party
Another angler was already at the lake when I arrived but he claimed to have only caught a couple of smaller cutts early on, and now wasn't having too much luck. It looked like he was drowning some frozen minnows. The fish seemed a little more receptive to my Slumpbuster, a fly that I've really come to like the past few weeks. Though I wasn't finding any of the nicer fish that inhabit this little lake either.

Can you see the other fish?
Thinking maybe the big 'uns weren't quite ready to stack up at the inlet I worked my way around to another bay where I've had some success in the past. It was a good thought, but I didn't find any willing fish away from the inlet and with evening coming on quick I decided to finish my day where it had begun. 

Last one of the day, not many spots near his head
A few more fish were willing to play, especially once I put on a white simi-seal leech or a red & white clouser minnow that I had tied up to try on bass. Looking up from my focus I realized that I had stayed too late already and broke my rod down so that I could hike quickly out of there. 

I like it here
Made it back to the truck without using the headlamp that I always have with me, but it was a close call. The drive home involved another close call, but luckily I spotted the small herd of elk in time to stop. Hope you can get out, be safe, and enjoy nature.

- Kidder

You're late