Friday, June 8, 2018

School's Out

The end of the school year brings with it a lot of different emotions. On the one hand I'm really excited at the prospect of a few weeks off before the summer programs start, but on the other, I'm sad to see the seniors leave. Also, I hate the graduation ceremony. The dread of that night is the only thing that makes time continue to move as we near the last day of school.

All that aside, I knew where I wanted to be and what I wanted to be doing on my first day of break. I would've made it to the trailhead sooner if I would've been able to find my camera. Normally I would've just used my phone and went without the camera but I'm trying to learn from my mistakes (read that story Here). Still started my hike just after daybreak watching for elk up on the hill, but all I saw were a couple of deer that kicked up in front of me. In the past I've had a herd of elk watch me as I made this hike, I've also seen bears rooting along the hillside. Stories I like to pull out and rehash whenever I bring someone new here, even though I know how unimpressive those tales are.



This stream has the potential to be one of the best in the state but de-watering, fire runoff, chub and carp over-population seems to always hit the reset button just when you think the fishing's really going to take off. The fish I could see from a vantage point definitely had the chub-school look to it, but i still made a cast to confirm........trophy chub.



Moving downstream I decided to make a stop where I usually end my day, hoping to find a big fish to start. What I found were streamer-eating chubs and a couple of small browns. I didn't think chubs would be able to eat a size 6 woolly bugger, but when you're talking about trophy chubs you have to re-assess your expectations. I decided to back out to the trail and head downstream, then work my way back towards the truck throughout the day. 



The walk down always seems to be half as long as the hike back out. In the years that I've left this stream alone some of my favorite holes have turned into riffles and riffles have become pools. Subsequently, the fish aren't where I expect them to be but it keeps things interesting. A mixed bag of browns and chubs, all about the same size, seemed anxious to eat a size 12 prince nymph that I hung below a chubby ant. At the top end of the pool a little brown ate, I managed to make a good hookset and the little guy spooked the king of the pool. A stellar couple feet of brown (or at least it seemed like it) from next to the little guy, never to be seen again. But at least I know where he lives.



Giving up on seeing the big one again I moved up to the next hole where several fish seemed hungry, not only for the prince nymph but a few were coming up for the ant. Dry dropper where both options are being picked up is almost too much fun. I cast across the slick to a foamy back eddy and high sticked to avoid getting any drag. From the dark water a fish rose slowly and inhaled my ant from the top. Significantly bigger than anything I'd hooked so far, he dogged me deep in the run where he seemed to pick up enough steam that I couldn't keep him from running out the back of the pool. I tried to keep side pressure on him to get him out of the riffle and into the flat where netting him would be easier. A good look through the clear water showed why I was having trouble controlling this fish, the nymph had a good sized chub connected to it. Just as I was trying to lift the browns head across the bow of the net the 5x gave way and the fish disappeared into the next run with the chub in tow. 

I hate leaving hooks in fish, especially when its the last fly of a working pattern! I tried a similar fly without the white wing, but while the fish liked it, including a nice tiger, but I couldn't see the fly on the water because of the cloudy sky. So I switched it up to a stone flopper that I haven't thrown for quite a while and still had fish coming up for it, including a nice tiger trout.





The winds and clouds made fishing a little tougher, but it didn't rain at all. I tried out a couple of different droppers, but the prince seemed like it was all they wanted and the stone flopper kept bringing in a few too. The last good hole before I was re-fishing was another spot that I'd caught some good fish in the past so I took it slow, to leave no corner un-fished. On the edge of what I would consider the prime lie I hooked into what seemed like a good fish. This fish stayed in the pool until he was ready to come to the net and was thrilled with a solid cutthroat that was the biggest of the day (and splashed the camera before I could get a pic).



The rest of the day brought more fish to the net, but fewer as I re-fished some spots closer to the truck. The hike out wasn't as bad as it will be when the temps are higher, but it's obvious that I'm not in fishing shape. The only way to remedy that is more fishing. I can handle that.


Hope you're as lucky,
Kidder


No comments:

Post a Comment