Sunday, May 18, 2014

Warm

Traditionally I go fishing on my birthday. That's just the way it's been for as long as I can remember. I've missed years of course, but the norm is fishing (as it should be). This year looked like it was going to be one of the exceptions till we ran down to the carp pond for a few minutes. What we found was beyond discouraging. The water was as low as I've ever seen it and tinted a sickly brown. No fish were caught and I don't think I'll be going back this year. On the way back we saw this snake (about three feet long) dead on the road...kinda summed up the trip really.


So, needless to say, I still felt the fishing itch and decided to take the family camping (and fishing) at a new spot for us. Huntington North Reservoir looked like a nice place for an early season trip with the possibility of crossing a few species off the "Grand Slam". 

Nice camp. Sorry about the smudge, not sure when that happened...

The Grand Slam is our family's goal of catching all the possible game fish in Utah. As far as trout go we're doing pretty well, but the warm water species are lacking. Part of the rules are it doesn't count without a pic, and it has to be in Utah. I'll post a new 'page' on here with all the species just in case you're interested. 

Well, we got our camp set up with a little time before the light failed us so I set out to test the waters. Some fish were surfacing, so I threw the flyrod at them and quickly landed two of the fattest (and biggest)  chubs I've ever seen. Not exactly what I was looking for, but it is what it is.

Fatty

Trophy chub


The next morning I got out decently early in my kick boat to see what else the reservoir could hold for me and was pleasantly surprised to catch a nice brown. Unfortunately the fight was long and hard on him, so I quickly resuscitated and released him. I was sure there would be more to follow.

Nice gill...I think.

There wasn't. I had one wiper up to the boat before he came off, and caught some bluegill (which somehow I had never caught before) but no more trout. Still great to be out and spend some time with the family, despite some of the other guests in the State Park. I'm looking forward to some great trips this summer. Hope you can get out and enjoy the water.
- Kidder
We need more of this in our lives


No comments:

Post a Comment