Sunday, June 16, 2013

Summer Evenings

My school district has been kind enough to send me to a professional development conference up in Logan Utah for the last couple of years.  Besides being a great opportunity for me to work with some really great music educators, it's also a chance for me to hit some northern waters that are usually off my radar.

It's always very humbling to go to unfamiliar waters to try your hand.  There are times when you absolutely don't have any clue what to expect.  The Logan River was that way for me this trip.  I was in-between hatches, the water was still just a bit high and fast (or it seemed that way to me!), and I only had an hour or so to fish.  All these factors (excuses) combined to give me the first skunking I've had in quite some time.  I had two fish on, one was only on for a moment and the other ran downstream where I couldn't follow him.  Tried everything I could think of, even to the point of pretending I'm good at entomology and started looking under rocks to no avail.  Oh well, at least this was only the first night.
A look at the Blacksmith Fork 
The next evening I decided on heading over to the Blacksmith Fork, which in the past has been much kinder to me.  The fishing was definitely easier for me, and I was quickly into fish.  Tan and Black Chernobyl Ants seemed to be the ticket on top, while a #12 olive Hare's Ear seemed to be what they wanted down below.  As the light began to fail, I switched over to a yellow St. Vrain Caddis and continued picking up fish until dark.

Nice Cutty.  Notice the Risen Fly Ichthus Reel, I'm still lovin' it.

Crazy Eye

Chubby little brown


There have been many times when I've gone into a flyshop and felt like the staff there was less than helpful.  In fact, there are a lot of times when I feel like they are very condescending and unwilling to help (unless your looking to drop a lot of $$$).  That's why it's so refreshing to go into Roundrocks Fly shop in Logan and have someone behind the counter that wants to help you out and is more than willing to talk over where to fish and what to use.  I'm not affiliated with them in any way, just giving props to folks who know how to do right.


The last evening I was able to fish, I again chose to go to the Blacksmith Fork but this time I decided to fish up the canyon a bit further.  (I guess have to make my attempt for redemption on the Logan another time)  I started out trying the caddis pattern that had worked the night before, but to no avail.  So on went an olive Caddis Pupa Emerger and it was fish on.  First came one of the most beautiful whitefish I've ever caught.  A lot of fishermen look down on the whitefish, but I think they have a subtle beauty and fight like maniacs.


Ended up catching more fish, in more serene surroundings, then anyone really deserves.  It's good to be spoiled.  Hopefully you can get out and enjoy the water.

No comments:

Post a Comment