My will was good, and I arrived at my destination with no un-planned stops (passed by so much good fishing...) and quickly rigged up my two fly-rods. On my 8 1/2 foot I put a dry fly set up with a midge dry followed by an emerging pattern (funny, I was actually given this pattern years ago on this river and helped out by a very generous angler). On my 8 footer I rigged up for a nymph rig, with a size 12 modified hare's ear followed by a size 20 pheasant tail.
Fishing started out as winter fishing often does for me, a little slow. But when I changed out the pheasant tail for an olive scud I began picking up fish. About every sixth cast or so I had to get the ice from my guides, yet a few fish were still hitting my indicator (just a tease, the rise never really came off and so my dry rod saw very little action). The day was going good with some average fish to show for the effort, I felt like it was a success. Then I changed over to a pink scud pattern and fishing picked up drastically! I had begun fishing back to the car (had to be back home for a New Years party with the family) so I was actually re-fishing some spots and still had great success.